Featured Post

Amazon Banned My Book: This is My Response to Amazon

Logic is an enemy  and Truth is a menace. I am nothing more than a reminder to you that  you cannot destroy Truth by burnin...

21 February 2014

The wings of the owl of Minerva

  http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/02/19/a-piece-of-dna/?_php=true&_type=blogs&module=BlogPost-Title&version=Blog%20Main&contentCollection=The%20Task&action=Click&pgtype=Blogs&region=Body&_r=0
 
 DNA; deoxyribonucleic acid; the stuff of which genes are made; the fabric of inheritance. The metal plate is cool in my hands. As I look at this relic that could easily be mistaken for a nondescript piece of scrap metal, fragments of family history flicker through my mind — great-great-grandparents on my mother’s side, part of Imperial Britain, who were married in Calcutta Cathedral in 1867; my father’s ancestor, known in the family as “the original Horace Judson” who fought for the North in the Civil War and whose saber we still have; and his forebears, religious Puritans I suppose, who came to the American colonies from the north of England early in the 17th century. 
 
Then the frame shifts, and I seem to see the way the double helix connects every life-form on the planet, through a lineage that can be traced back billions of years, to the dawn of life on earth. And here I am, sitting among filing cabinets and bookcases and stacks of paper, holding a fragment of the object that first revealed how it all works.